Chef’s Plate Review: Chipotle Tofu BBQ Steaks
Chef’s Plate is a subscription service that delivers chef-designed recipes and fresh ingredients each week. There is no subscription or membership fee to join. Their recipes begin at $10.95 per plate for the 2-Person Plan and $9.75 per plate for the Family Plan. A Year of Boxes pays for this subscription.
We order 3 new Chef’s Plate recipes each week, and have been for almost a year now. Here’s a look at one of the recipes we received this week….
Chipotle Tofu BBQ Steaks
Smoldering BBQ flavours give this summery plant-powered trio a boost. Seared tofu steaks roast alongside crispy potato wedges, ideal for dunking in the chipotle-spiked homemade barbecue sauce. A blend of baby greens and BBQ corn nuts bring a welcome crunch to this warm weather dish.
- 350 g Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 Russet Potatoes
- 3 oz Mixed Baby Greens
- 1 oz Chipotle Chilis in Adobo
- 1 Navel Orange
- 2 oz Smoky BBQ Sauce
- 2 oz Radishes
- 1 oz BBQ Corn Nuts
- 1/2 oz Mayonnaise
- 1/2 oz Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 oz Rice Flour
- Start the Potatoes: preheat oven to 450, cut potatoes in 1/4 inch wedges, toss with oil, season with salt, place on baking sheet, cook in oven for 15 minutes
- Prepare the Ingredients: cut tofu lengthwise into two equal steaks, slice radishes, halve orange, finely chop chipotle chilis
- Prepare the Tofu: in large bowl add rice flour, using small knife score tofu along one side of cut surface in a criss-cross pattern, season with salt, add tofu to the flour, turn to coat
- Cook Tofu: in large pan add 2 tbs oil, once hot add tofu steaks, sear for 3 minutes each side, until golden, transfer tofu to sheet with potatoes, continue roasting for 8-10 minutes, until tofu is crisp and wedges are tender
- Prepare BBQ Sauce: in same pan used for tofu, add BBQ sauce, juice from orange, chipotle chilies, 1/2 vinegar, whisk to combine, cook 1-2 minutes until thickened slightly
- Prepare Salad: in medium bowl add mayonnaise, remaining vinegar, 2 tsp oil, whisk to combine, add mixed baby greens, radishes, and BBQ corn nuts
- Plate & Serve: plate tofu steaks with potato wedges, and salad on side, drizzle steaks with BBQ sauce
A subscription service that delivers chef-designed recipes and fresh ingredients each week. There is no subscription or membership fee to join.