Chef’s Plate Review: Maple Chipotle Portobello Mushrooms
Chef’s Plate is a subscription service that delivers chef-designed recipes and fresh ingredients each week. There is no subscription or membership fee to join. Their recipes begin at $10.95 per plate for the 2-Person Plan and $9.75 per plate for the Family Plan. A Year of Boxes pays for this subscription.
Coupon Code: Use my link to get 3 plates FREE with your first order – CLICK HERE
We order 3 new Chef’s Plate recipes each week, and have been since August of last year. Here’s a look at one of the recipes we received this past week….
Maple Chipotle Portobello Mushrooms
Meaty portobello mushrooms are a blank canvas for bold flavour, making them the perfect fix for a smoldering maple-chipotle sauce. You’ll cook down the portobellos with a flavourful mix of sautéed onion and chipotle peppers to tuck into a warm rice bowl. Cooling avocado salsa spiked with crunchy sunflower seeds brings the Southwestern flair!
- 10 oz Portobello Mushrooms
- 4 oz Basmati Rice
- 1 Avocado
- 4 oz Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 oz Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 1 oz Chipotle Peppers in Adobo
- 1/2 oz Roasted Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 oz Maple Syrup
- 1 Lime
- Southwest Spice Mix
- Cook the Basmati Rice: In medium pot add the basmati rice and 1 cup of warm water, season with salt and bring to boil over high heat, once boiling, cover and reduce heat to medium low, cook for 12-15 minutes, until the rice is tender, set aside, still covered, for 5 minutes, fluff the rice with a fork.
- Prepare the Ingredients: Wash and dry all produce, quarter the cherry tomatoes, halve and small dice 1/2 of the red onion, thinly slice the remaining onion, halve, pit and small dice the avocado, halve the lime, cut the portobello mushrooms into 1/2 inch slices.
- Cook the Maple Chipotle Mushrooms: In large pan, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium high, add the portobello mushrooms and sliced red onion, cook for 5 minutes, add the chipotle peppers in adobo, maple syrup, 3/4 of the Southwest Spice Mix, and 1/4 cup of water. Season with salt and bring to simmer over high heat, once boiling reduce heat to medium and cook for 8-10 minutes, breaking up the peppers with a spoon, until reduced slightly.
- Mix the Hummus Dressing: While the mushrooms cook, in a small bowl, whisk the roasted red pepper hummus, juice from 1/2 the lime and 1 tbsp of water.
- Mix the Avocado Salsa: In a medium bowl, add the avocado, sunflower seeds, diced red onion to taste, remaining lime juice and remaining spice mix, season with salt and mix to combine.
- Serve: Plate the basmati rice with the maple chipotle portobello mushrooms, top with the avocado salsa and cherry tomatoes, drizzle the roasted red pepper hummus dressing.
Notes: I made this recipe for lunch today and it was exactly what I needed. It includes a few of my favourite ingredients – mushrooms, avocado and hummus. The seasoning on the mushroom mixture was really tasty, not too spicy with just the right amount of flavour. The avocado salsa was a nice complement to the spicy mushrooms and the hummus added a little extra flavour. It was easy to make (as are all the Chef’s Plate recipes) and it’s dairy-free & gluten-free. Chef’s Plate has impressed me yet again.
Chefs Plate is putting Canadians back in the kitchen. By delivering easy-to-follow recipes and fresh pre-portioned ingredients right to your door, we take the guesswork out of cooking and have […]