Chef’s Plate Review: Spiced Chickpea Shawarma
Chef’s Plate is a subscription service that delivers chef-designed recipes and fresh ingredients each week. There is no subscription or membership fee to join. Their recipes begin at $10.95 per plate for the 2-Person Plan and $9.75 per plate for the Family Plan. A Year of Boxes pays for this subscription.
We order 3 new Chef’s Plate recipes each week, and have been for almost a year now. Here’s a look at one of the recipes we received this week….
Spice Chickpea Shawarma
We’ve brought the striking flavours of shawarma to this plant-based bowl featuring spiced fried chickpeas with a creamy yogurt sauce. Warm millet makes a satisfying stand in for pita bread, garnished with bites of fresh cucumber and smoky roasted red pepper.
- 1 can Chickpeas
- 4 oz Millet
- 100 g Greek Yogurt
- 3 oz Roasted Red Pepper
- 1 Mini Cucumber
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 8 g Fresh Dill
- 1 Lemon
- Shawarma Spice Mix
- Cook the Millet: in medium pot add the millet and 1 1/2 cups of warm water, season with salt, bring to boil over high heat, once boiling, cover with tight lid, reduce heat to medium low, cook for 15-18 minutes, until millet is soft but still firm to bite
- Prepare Ingredients: cut cucumber into half-moons, finely chop dill, quarter and deseed the lemon, halve, peel and thinly slice onion, mince garlic
- Fry Chickpea Shawarma: drain and rinse chickpeas, in large pan add 1 tbs oil over medium heat, add onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened, add chickpeas, spice mix, 1/2 of garlic and 1 tbs oil, season with salt and pepper, cook for 5 minutes, until browned, remove from heat
- Mix Greek Yogurt Sauce: in small bowl add greek yogurt, dill, remaining garlic, juice from 1/2 lemon, season with salt, mix to combine
- Plate & Serve: plate millet with chickpea shawarma over top, sprinkle with cucumber and roasted red pepper, dollop the yogurt and garnish with remaining lemon wedges
Chefs Plate is putting Canadians back in the kitchen. By delivering easy-to-follow recipes and fresh pre-portioned ingredients right to your door, we take the guesswork out of cooking and have […]