HelloFresh Canada Review: Savoury Corn Fritters
HelloFresh Canada delivers fresh ingredients and healthy, chef-curated recipes based on seasonal farm fresh ingredients straight to your doorstep each week. Every week HelloFresh members choose three meals from a selection of award-winning, constantly-changing recipes (say goodbye to recipe boredom!).
We recently reviewed our August HelloFresh Canada delivery and now we are showing you the second of three recipes from our monthly delivery.
Coupon Code: Use our link to get 3 FREE plates with your first order at HelloFresh Canada – CLICK HERE
Let’s have a look at today’s recipe:
Savoury Corn Fritters with Avocado-Tomato Salad and Cilantro Crema
A traditional sweet and savoury snack from the South. Paired with a citrusy an avocado-tomato salad and dolloped with creamy cilantro crema. This healthier alternative to the often deep-fried version is fantastic!
- 227 g Grape Tomatoes
- 2 unit Green Onions
- 10 g Cilantro
- 1 unit Lime
- 1 tsp Cumin-Garlic Blend
- 1 unit Avocado
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 113 g Corn Kernels
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 1.5 tbsp Honey
- ½ cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup Cornmeal
- Don’t worry if your first fritter is a dud! We follow the First Pancake Rule here – the first one may not turn out the prettiest, but as your pan gets hotter, the rest should look great!
- Wash and dry all produce.* Cut the tomatoes in half. Thinly slice the green onions. Roughly chop the cilantro. Zest, then juice the lime. Peel and cut the avocado into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cumin-garlic blend, 1/2 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp sour cream, 1/2 cup cold water. Add the corn, half the feta, half the cilantro, half the lime zest, half the green onions and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir together. Season pepper. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the remaining green onions, half the lime juice, remaining lime zest, remaining honey and 1 tbsp oil. Add the tomatoes, avocado and remaining feta. Toss together. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining sour cream and remaining cilantro.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add 1 tbsp butter and swirl pan to melt. Add four heaping 1/3 cup batter into pan, creating four fritters. Reduce heat to medium. Pan-fry, until fritters are golden and cooked through, 3-4 min per side. (NOTE: Cook in batches if you are using a smaller pan! Use 1 tbsp butter for each batch.)
- Divide the fritters and avocado-tomato salad between plates. Serve with the crema on the side.
Thoughts: I love a good veggie fritter, I always have, they’re just so darn good. This recipe was fairly easy, I little tough to scoop, flatten and fry the fritters as they were quite sticky, but the outcome was worth it. I didn’t bother making these vegan friendly but I could have easily swapped out the sour cream and cheese for vegan versions of both. Oh, and I LOVED the avocado-tomato salad!! My Dad has an abundance of cherry tomatoes in his garden right now so I will definitely be making it again.
WE PLAN. WE SHOP. WE DELIVER. YOU COOK. HelloFresh is a meal-kit service dedicated to making cooking fun, easy and convenient. Each week, HelloFresh creates new delicious recipes with step-by-step […]