HelloFresh Canada Review: Sun-Dried Tomato and Spinach Penne
HelloFresh Canada delivers fresh ingredients and healthy, chef-curated recipes based on seasonal farm fresh ingredients straight to your doorstep each week. Every week HelloFresh members choose three meals from a selection of award-winning, constantly-changing recipes (say goodbye to recipe boredom!).
We recently reviewed our November HelloFresh Canada delivery and now we are showing you the first of three recipes from our monthly delivery.
Coupon Code: Use our link to receive 3 FREE plates on your first order at HelloFresh Canada! – CLICK HERE
Let’s have a look at today’s recipe:
Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato and Spinach Penne with Marinated Mozzarella
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. That’s what we have to say about the tried-and-true combination of spinach and sun-dried tomatoes. Folded into a creamy sauce with stringy and cheesey mozzerella, this is a bowl of pasta to curl up with.
- 170 g Penne
- 125 g Fresh Mozzarella
- 2 tbsp Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 6 tbsp Sour Cream
- 113 g Baby Spinach
- 10 g Garlic
- 56 g Red Onion, chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 10 g Basil
- In a large pot, add 12 cups water and 2 tsp salt. (NOTE: Use the same amount of water and salt for 4 ppl.) Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the penne to the boiling water. Cook until tender, 10-12 min. When the penne is tender, reserve 1/4 cup water (dbl for 4 ppl), then drain the penne.
- Meanwhile, wash and dry all produce. Mince or grate garlic. Pick the basil leaves from the stem, and finely slice the leaves. Cut the mozzarella ball(s) into 1/4-inch slices.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together half the garlic, half the basil and 2 tbsp oil (dbl for 4 ppl). Season the mozzarella slices with salt and pepper, then add to the marinade. Stir gently to coat. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add 1 tbsp oil (dbl for 4 ppl) then the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions have softened, 3-4 min. Add the spinach and remaining garlic. Cook until the spinach wilts, 1-2 min.
- Add the penne, sour cream, pesto, reserved pasta water and half the Parmesan to the spinach mixture. Cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens slightly, 1-2 min. Season with salt and pepper. Lay the mozzarella slices on top of the pasta, then drizzle over any remaining marinade from the bowl. Cover the pan with a lid. Cook until the cheese melts, 1-2 min.
- Divide the pasta between plates. Sprinkle over the remaining Parmesan and remaining basil.
Thoughts: What is it about pasta? It’s the best meal to curl up with on a cold night. It’s so satisfying and comforting. This particular recipe was super easy, but that can be said for every HelloFresh Canada recipe. The addition of the sun-dried tomato pesto really gave it nice flavour and the fresh mozzarella was a nice touch. Any cheese lover would appreciate this dish. I would definitely make it again.