HelloFresh Canada Review: Tempeh Teriyaki Bowl
HelloFresh Canada delivers fresh ingredients and healthy, chef-curated recipes based on seasonal farm fresh ingredients straight to your doorstep each week. Every week HelloFresh members choose three meals from a selection of award-winning, constantly-changing recipes (say goodbye to recipe boredom!).
We recently reviewed our November HelloFresh Canada delivery and now we are showing you the second of three recipes from our monthly delivery.
Coupon Code: Use our link to receive 3 FREE plates on your first order at HelloFresh Canada! – CLICK HERE
Let’s have a look at today’s recipe:
Tempeh Teriyaki Bowl with Zucchini and Coconut Rice
A stir-fry is the perfect, speedy weeknight dinner to whip up after a long day. This one is jam-packed with vegetables that will nourish and satisfy any hungry crowd!
- 250 g Tempeh
- 227 g Zucchini
- 2 unit Green Onions
- ¾ cup Jasmine Rice
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 30 g Ginger
- 10 g Garlic
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- Peel ginger using a spoon’s edge — you’ll be able to maneuver around the knobbly bits more easily!
- Wash and dry all produce.* Mince or grate the garlic. Peel, then mince or grate 2 tsp ginger (dbl for 4 ppl). In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, ginger, garlic, honey, cornstarch and 1/2 cup water (dbl for 4 ppl). Set aside. Cut the tempeh into 1/2-inch cubes. In a medium bowl, stir together 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce, sesame seeds and tempeh. Stir to coat and set aside.
- In a medium pot, combine the coconut milk and 1 cup water (dbl for 4 ppl). Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the rice. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover with a lid, and cook until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed, 10-12 min.
- Slice the zucchini(s) in half lengthwise, then into 1/2-inch thick half-moons. Thinly slice the green onions.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add 2 tbsp oil (dbl for 4 ppl), then the tempeh cubes. Pan-fry, turning occasionally, until golden-brown on all sides, 5-6 min. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil (dbl for 4ppl) and zucchini to the same pan. Cook, stirring often, until tender-crisp, 3-4 min. Remove the pan from heat and add the remaining teriyaki sauce and tempeh cubes. Stir until the sauce is slightly thickened and the tempeh cubes are coated with the sauce, 1-2 min.
- Fluff rice with a fork, then season with salt. Divide the coconut rice between bowls and top with the tempeh teriyaki. Drizzle over any remaining sauce in the pan. Sprinkle over the green onions.
Thoughts: I happen to be a huge fan of Tempeh. I think it is a really great meat alternative, and being vegan, it is something I love to cook with. I was very excited to see that HelloFresh Canada included it in one of their recipes this past week and I really hope they do it more often. The recipe itself had really great flavour and I love the addition of the coconut milk to the rice. It’s a simple recipe with a small ingredient list that was easy to make and very tasty.