HelloFresh Canada Review: Tex-Mex Risotto
HelloFresh Canada delivers fresh ingredients and healthy, chef-curated recipes based on seasonal farm fresh ingredients straight to your doorstep each week. Every week HelloFresh members choose three meals from a selection of award-winning, constantly-changing recipes (say goodbye to recipe boredom!).
We recently reviewed our October HelloFresh Canada delivery and now we are showing you the second of three recipes from our monthly delivery. Oh, and if you aren’t familiar with HelloFresh Canada you can get all the details in THIS POST.
Coupon Code: Use Coupon Code YEAR3FP to receive 3 FREE plates on your first order at HelloFresh.ca! – CLICK HERE
Let’s have a look at today’s recipe:
Tex-Mex Risotto with Corn, Red Bell Pepper and Monterey Jack Cheese
We’re not food purists by any means: we say, if something tastes good, why not run with it? Which is exactly the case in this transcontinental, mixed-up, mashed-up risotto that features some distinctly non-Italian flavors. Jalapeño, corn, and Monterey jack cheese give it a Tex-Mex edge, adding some larger-than-life personality to the extra-creamy grains of rice.
- ¾ cup Arborio Rice
- 230 g Red Bell Pepper
- 10 g Garlic
- 1 unit Jalapeño
- 10 g Cilantro
- 2 unit Vegetable Broth Concentrate
- 56 g Red Onion
- 0.1 tbsp Mexican Seasoning
- 113 g Corn
- 56 g Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Preheat your broiler to high (to broil the peppers).
- Wash and dry all produce.* Core, then thinly slice the bell pepper. Mince or grate the garlic. Finely chop the jalapeño, removing the seeds for less heat. Roughly chop the cilantro. In a medium pot, combine 4 1/2 cups water and broth concentrates. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, on a baking sheet, toss the peppers with the Mexican seasoning and a drizzle of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Broil in the centre of the oven, stirring halfway through cooking, until golden-brown, 8-10 min.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pan over medium heat. Add a drizzle of oil, then the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions softens, 4-5 min. Add the rice, garlic and as much jalapeño as you like to the pan. Stir to toast the rice slightly, 1 min.
- Add 1 cup broth to the rice. Cook, stirring constantly, until the broth has been absorbed by the rice. Continue adding the broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly after each addition until the broth is absorbed.
- After the last cup of broth has been stirred in and absorbed, the rice should be tender and the texture should be creamy. (The entire process should take 28-30 min.) Stir in the peppers, corn, cheese and half the cilantro. Stir until heated through, 2-3 min. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the risotto between plates. Sprinkle with the remaining cilantro.
Notes: I absolutely love risotto. It’s a very comforting meal when it is chilly outside. There’s just something about the warmth, creaminess, and texture. I experimented with this one a little bit and used vegan cheese in place of the Monterrey jack. It still worked out nicely but I think the Monterrey jack would have added a little more flavour.
WE PLAN. WE SHOP. WE DELIVER. YOU COOK. HelloFresh is a meal-kit service dedicated to making cooking fun, easy and convenient. Each week, HelloFresh creates new delicious recipes with step-by-step […]