HelloFresh Canada Review: Thai Massaman Veggie Skewers
HelloFresh Canada delivers fresh ingredients and healthy, chef-curated recipes based on seasonal farm fresh ingredients straight to your doorstep each week. Every week HelloFresh members choose three meals from a selection of award-winning, constantly-changing recipes (say goodbye to recipe boredom!).
We recently reviewed our July HelloFresh Canada delivery and now we are showing you the second of three recipes from our monthly delivery.
Coupon Code: Use our link to get 3 FREE plates with your first order at HelloFresh Canada – CLICK HERE
Let’s have a look at today’s recipe:
Thai Massaman Veggie Skewers with Basmati Rice, Eggplant and Cremini Mushrooms
We’ve updated this classic Thai Massaman curry with summer inspired skewers. This sweet and mild curry sauce is made for dipping!
- 227 g Cremini Mushrooms
- 10 g Cilantro
- 160 g Baby Eggplant
- 1 unit Lime
- 56 g Red Onion, cubes
- ¾ cup Basmati Rice
- 2 tbsp Massaman Curry Paste
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 1.5 tbsp Smooth Peanut Butter
- 6 unit Wooden Skewers
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (to roast the skewers). Start prepping when your oven comes up to temp! BBQ TIP: Instead of roasting, grill skewers on medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until veggies are cooked through, 8-10 min.
- Wash and dry all produce.* Quarter the mushrooms. Roughly chop the cilantro. Chop the eggplant into 1-inch pieces. Zest, then cut the lime into wedges. In a shallow dish filled with hot water, submerge and soak the skewers. In a covered medium pot, bring the coconut milk and 2/3 cups water to a boil.
- Thread the onions, eggplant and mushrooms onto the skewers. Drizzle the skewers with 1 tbsp oil. Season with salt and pepper. On a baking sheet, arrange the skewers. Bake in the centre of the oven, turning the skewers halfway through cooking, until golden-brown, 14-16 min.
- Meanwhile, add the rice to the medium pot with the boiling coconut milk and water. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook (still covered)until the rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, 12-14 min.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the curry paste. Cook until fragrant, 1-2 min. Add the coconut milk and peanut butter. Cook until slightly thickened, 3-4 min
- Fluff rice with a fork. Stir in half the cilantro and lime zest. Season with salt. Divide rice between plates and top with the skewers. Drizzle over the curry peanut sauce. Sprinkle over the remaining cilantro and serve with a lime wedge.
Thoughts: Today’s HelloFresh Canada recipe was fairly easy and required little prep. The onions were pre-cut and other than that all I needed to do was cut the mushrooms and eggplant. I always use my rice cooker as opposed to cooking the rice on the stove so that makes the process that much easier. The sauce had really nice flavour, the only thing I wasn’t loving was the eggplant. I maybe should have added a little more salt and pepper. But overall, the recipe was easy, healthy and fun to make!