HelloFresh Canada Review: Toasted Brown Rice Bowl
HelloFresh Canada delivers fresh ingredients and healthy, chef-curated recipes based on seasonal farm fresh ingredients straight to your doorstep each week. Every week HelloFresh members choose three meals from a selection of award-winning, constantly-changing recipes (say goodbye to recipe boredom!). A Year of Boxes pays for this subscription.
I received my second HelloFresh Box on Tuesday and I was pretty darn excited. I was super happy with my first box. There were a few veggies that had gone brown but I emailed customer service and they immediately applied a credit to my account. Other than that, the box was exactly what I was hoping it would be. I made all three recipes and was happy with the results.
Now…..I do have to say, there were issues with this week’s delivery as well. Two of the ingredients were missing from today’s recipe box: soy sauce & sesame seeds. Luckily I had both this items on hand, but I would have been really sad if I didn’t.
If you aren’t familiar with HelloFresh Canada you can get all the details in THIS POST.
Let’s have a look at today’s recipe:
Recipe: Toasted Brown Rice Bowl
- 113 g cup brown rice
- 170 g cubed sweet potato
- 113 g corn kernels
- 170 g green beans
- 2 green onions
- 28 g cashews
- 30 g ginger
- 10 g garlic
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- olive oil
- cook rice: I used my rice cooker
- prepare veggies: cut green beans into 1-inch pieces, slice green onions, peel and mince ginger, mince or grate garlic
- toast sesame seeds: heat large pan, add sesame seeds, roast for 1-3 minutes, remove from pan
- cook veggies: in same pan, add a drizzle of oil, add sweet potatoes and green beans, cook until slightly softened, 6-7 minutes, add corn, cook until warm, 4-5 minutes, season with salt and pepper, remove from pan
- toast rice: add drizzle of oil to pan, add garlic and ginger, cook until fragrant, 1 minute, add rice to pan, cook for 2 minutes, add veggies, soy sauce, half green onion, stir until warm
- plate rice and veggie mixture, top with remaining green onion, sesame seeds and cashews
Thoughts: I found this recipe to be quick and easy to make. I was a little disappointed that two of the ingredients were missing, but luckily I had them in the pantry. I don’t think this would have been enough food if the BF was home and I had prepared it for dinner. He easily could have eaten all of it himself. If I was cooking this for two people I probably would have added some tofu and maybe a small salad on the side. The flavour was nice and I like that the sweet potato was already cubed for me. This rice bowl made for a light lunch with leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch.
WE PLAN. WE SHOP. WE DELIVER. YOU COOK. HelloFresh is a meal-kit service dedicated to making cooking fun, easy and convenient. Each week, HelloFresh creates new delicious recipes with step-by-step […]