Chef’s Plate Review: Brazilian Fish Moqueca
Chef’s Plate is a subscription service that delivers chef-designed recipes and fresh ingredients each week. There is no subscription or membership fee to join. Their recipes begin at $10.95 per plate for the 2-Person Plan and $9.75 per plate for the Family Plan. A Year of Boxes pays for this subscription.
Coupon Code: Use my link to get 3 plates FREE with your first order – CLICK HERE
We order 3 new Chef’s Plate recipes each week, and have been since August of 2016. Here’s a look at one of the recipes we received this past week….
Brazilian Fish Moqueca
Transport your senses to Brazil with this steaming bowl of fish moqueca! This exotic number marries a delicious balance of rich coconut broth, spices and fresh herbs served over steamed jasmine rice.
- 10oz Pollock Fillets
- 6oz Jasmine Rice
- 165ml Coconut Milk
- 1 Yellow Pepper
- 1 Lime
- 2 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 Thai Red Chili
- 1 pack Vegetable Stock
- 4 g Fresh Cilantro
- 1/2oz Fish Sauce
- Moqueca Spice Mix (garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried chives)
- Cook the Rice: in a medium pot, add the jasmine rice and 1 1/3 cups of water, season with salt and bring to a boil over high heat, once boiling cover and reduce the heat to medium low, cook for 12-15 minutes until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed, set aside, still covered, for 5 minutes, fluff rice with fork
- Prepare the Ingredients: medium dice the yellow pepper, zest the lime, halve lime, roughly chop tomato, roughly tear the cilantro, thinly slice the Thai chili
- Start the Stew: in a large pot, heat 2 tsp of oil over medium hight until hot, cook the tomatoes and pepper for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, season with salt and pepper, add the spice mix, cook for 1 minute stirring to toast, add 1/3 cup warm water, coconut milk, fish sauce and vegetable stock reduction, bring to boil over high heat, once boiling reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Cook the Fish Moqueca: line a plate with paper towel, pat the pollock dry, add the pollock to the pot, cook for 4-6 minutes over medium heat, off heat lightly flake the fish, to the pot stir in the juice and zest from lime
- Serve: serve the fish moqueca over the rice and garnish with the cilantro and Thai chili to taste
Thoughts: As is the case with all my Chef’s Plate recipes, this one was quick and easy to make. Anytime a recipe includes rice I cook it in my rice cooker which makes the recipe that much easier. I also decided to fry the fish in a pan on its own rather than cooking it in the moqueca. Overall the recipe had amazing flavour, more flavour than I was expecting it to have. I would definitely make this again.
Chefs Plate is putting Canadians back in the kitchen. By delivering easy-to-follow recipes and fresh pre-portioned ingredients right to your door, we take the guesswork out of cooking and have […]